Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Summer Wrap Up


School starts in two days and I haven't finished blogging about our summer!  Always behind.

We went to Lynchburg to visit grandparents met up with some cousins and an aunt and an uncle there.  A house FULL of fun!  We arrived LATE on a Wednesday night.  On Thursday we made a family trip to a fun place.  It was at least 100 degrees, but we . . . 

 
played mini golf of course!  I had to quit mid game, not that it mattered to Luke.  He was playing with his cousins and I was with the adults.  After I cooled off inside and I went back out to see what was going on.


The cousins and dads were driving go karts.  Luke thinks go karts are too loud but he loved cheering on his cousins from the sidelines.
Next we tried out the bumper boats.  Those were super fun on a hot day, but that's pretty obvious from Lamar's incredibly jovial expression.  We loved squirting each other . . .





But that's pretty obvious too . . . 



Next Luke decided to face a fear and try out the bumper cars.  With each car driven by someone he knows and trusts, I think he felt safe to give it a go.  I wish I'd been able to capture a picture of his face the first time he took a bump and his car spun out.  It was an expression of shear exhilaration or terror.  But then he grinned really big, and I knew the joy won out over the fear.  Yeah Luke!  He rode two or three times.




When we got back home, Haley gave him a mohawk.  Teenage cousins are so fun.

On Friday we went to Amazement Square, kind of a kids' museum/play place.  We went a couple of years ago, and the cousins had much fun.  Luke was especially excited to find the "Text to Speech" display that featured a keyboard for typing a message and a computerized voice that spoke your message.  Our last visit, the cousins had a great time typing silly insults about each other.  Unfortunately text to speech had been removed.  I wonder if our kids weren't the only ones typing insults.

But we still had a great time.  Luke tried the zip line.


Yeah Luke!


Cousin photo outside Amazement Square.


On Friday night we went to one of our all time favorite mini golf places, the first place Luke ever played, Tiny Town.  Only on Friday night it was glow-in-the-dark mini golf.  This mostly consisted of glow sticks in the balls and placed around the course.  And some disco lights spinning wildly, of course.  Disco lights and mini golf is a funny combination.  But it was tons of fun and Lamar got like 3 hole in ones.  He apparently should always play mini golf in the dark.


Saturday and Sunday were fun family times doing a little shopping and hanging out.  I got to see an longtime friend who know lives in Lynchburg.  Always a treat.


Yeah for cousins!


Sweet cousin Maddie rode from Virginia to our house with us, where her family spent the night before heading home.  She even influenced Luke to do a little reading in the car.

So that caps off our summer.  A few days after we got home Luke said, "I had a great summer, Mom.  I'm going to miss you when school starts."  And that makes it ALL worth it.  Totally worth it.

School starts on Friday.  The first few days of school are so nerve wracking.  Luke told me he is feeling a little shy and a little nervous but a lot excited.  We went and met his teacher today and he did a reading assessment.  I'm hopeful it will be great year.  But the change is hard.  He and I both get so attached to his teacher each year and transitioning to someone new makes us both nervous.  Sometimes I get overwhelmed.

Tonight Luke was telling me that his 2nd grade teacher, Mrs. G, had a sign in her room that said, "Sorry, Pluto!  :(  "  He thought that was funny.  I asked him if he knew why that was funny and he said because Pluto isn't a planet anymore.  Then he said, "I'm glad Earth's still a planet."  I laughed.  Then he had lots of questions about if an asteroid could crash into earth.  (I totally remember worrying about that as a kid.)  I told him I thought it would burn up in the atmosphere, or just land in the ocean.  He said we better not got to the beach.  I told him it would be WAY out in the ocean and we wouldn't even know it (totally making this up.  I know nothing about asteroids).  But I told him I was sure God would protect us.  Then he asked me what planet heaven is on.  So I attempted to answer that and he said, "Was that a good question?"  Then he asked me where God was and I tried to explain that with my feeble human mind.  He said, "How is God everywhere and how does he see everything?"  So I told him God has power over the whole universe, all the planets and everything.  He said, "Wow.  That is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G."  I told him it sure is.  I told him I guess he and I didn't need to worry about anything because we're never alone and God has so much power.  He said, "Yeah, amazing power."

So, I am not going to fret about the beginning of a new year with new challenges.  Because a very wise person clued me in that God is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Luke and his mom are AMAZING! Amy I am so very proud of you and all that you do and have done to get Luke to where he is today. I think of all the things that you have done and I am truly amazed. God and you make a great team. He blessed Luke beyond measure with parents as wonderful as you and Lamar. We are all blessed to be a part of your family! Love to all, Jan

Jana said...

That is right, God is AMAZING!! He is powerful and holds us all in His hand. He will carry you through each and every struggle. Thinking of you guys and praying for you.